Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another Author Visit

So Patricia Smith came to our class today to talk with us about the book we read (Blood Dazzler) and any other general questions we had!! And it was so cool!! Loved it, loved her. She was such a cool woman. The last author we met, Ron Rindo, was also a treat to have in our class...I'm not sure how to describe it, but it is really cool to see people in our classes living the life of an author, something I hope perhaps to be someday. I love that I have this opportunity!

In contrast to my last post, Spring is SO not in the air. The hope of Spring, yes, exists. The actuality, however, seems to still be nestled in some isolated ice castle. I left for class today, down in Rodman, mind you, with a base temperature of 4 degrees and winds up to 20 to 30 miles per hour. MISERABLE. The worst walk I have ever had to Rodman. My coffee (yes, coffee) went from piping hot to less than luke warm in minutes, I lost feeling in my legs, I began to involuntarily cry, and my hat just called quits and my ears froze. I entered the more than welcomed warmth of Rodman and immediately my legs started to burn from the temperature climb. WOW I was so uncomfortable. Egad. When I finally fully changed back to my normal skin tone from the wondrous pink I was sporting was when I had to get up and leave for class on upper campus.

Thank you, Wisconsin.

Funnily enough, as we sat in our Contemporary Lit class talking to Patricia Smith about her personification of Hurricane Katrina as a woman, she quoted her first poem in the book, that "every woman begins as weather." Her reasoning? Because our moods change as often as weather patterns do; we are a moody gender. So Wisconsin must be a woman, and an unhappy, disgruntled one at that.

~.~.~.~

So I was figuring out my major and minor paths for the rest of college...and I'm in a pretty good boat. I only need 8 more credits for art history for a minor after this semester, and I still could pick up a German minor with only 12 credits to go. It is my English major that will require a lot of attention next semester. But I'm excited!! I will get this done rather swimmingly if I look at this all ahead of time.

The play was very good, very funny. Personally, though, I would have changed a few things about it, and some of the acting itself. However, overall, rather good!! Next up--One Acts!

Well, I'm going to brave the stroll over to Johnson so that I can manage one study hour there. Then off to my other job, and then off to the poetry reading by Patricia Smith in the Great Hall! Oh what a night...

--Julia

No comments: