Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Beginnings

Now, I want to begin by making some clarifications about this blog's title:
A "sophism", according to the Encarta Dictionary is this:
(noun) an argument or explanation that seems very clever or subtle on the surface but is actually flawed, misleading, or intended to deceive.

In short: an apparently clever but flawed argument.

Now I realize that this isn't the most...credible or positive of titles...but if you learned anything in high school, getting past being a freshman wasn't that amazing because now you were a "wise fool."

I am in a class of "wise fools." Perhaps meaning that we have obtained much knowledge and wisdom of the ropes of college, but are foolish to think that we A--rule the roost and B--know everything there is to know about college.

So read this blog in stride. I dispelled as much advice and wisdoms I could last year, and I will do so again. But if you read and compare, I am sure you will see my growth, changes, and new understandings emerge.

But you may want to listen to my tales anyway, for I have been told to be the great "dear Abby" of my world!!

Anyway, getting past the hoity-toity stuff...

HELLO! If you are reading this you are either my mother, my grandmother, maybe my aunt, or--who this blog is intended for by my job--a prospective student! (Or you stumbled across this randomly and are reading this going "who the heck is this?" That may be the case. Interested in Ripon College?)

So, prospective students (and Grandma and Mum), welcome to my blog! As I mentioned before, this is the blog of a Sophomore (the stereotypical cocky kid who is way too excited to not be a freshman). I am no stereotype. I defy stereotypes. I eat them for breakfast. Okay, I'm not as hardcore as that. And yes, I fall into some stereotypes...Point is--I am not a cocky kid who is way too excited not to be a freshman. In fact, I would do much of freshman year over again; it was a blast.

And that fact that I'm a year closer to the real world terrifies me...

I am Julia. I'm 19, close to 20, yet I feel all sorts of ages sometimes. 2, 5, 14, 28. Not so much the older age, but I know I feel my younger years because I am comprised of them. I live on campus (as I think over 90% of the students do here) in Johnson, fourth floor. No elevator. I will have massive thighs by the end of the year. Or calves. Not sure which. I am thinking that I will be an English major, but it could change. However, if you haven't already noticed my already quite verbose blog entry, I love to write, so the likelihood of me changing my mind is slight. I am in a great sorority on campus, and am involved in Theatre, Forensics, mentoring/tutoring, and the admissions office of course.

I am basically in love with Ripon. It is very much like my second home, and it feels so right. So do not hesitate to ask me questions, or email me at heinrichj@ripon.edu, or contact me via Facebook--my full name is Julia Heinrich. It should list me in the Ripon network, class of 2011.

So--huzzah! Stay tuned for weekend updates, classroom woes, and the stress and angst of the year to come! Oh, and the fun stuff too.

<3
Jules

No comments: